Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: David Howells
Date: Fri Jun 11 2021 - 07:10:25 EST

Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Umm. Let's remember that the vaccines are 33-93% effective [1],
> which means that there's approximately a 100% certainty that at least
> one person arriving at the event from a trans-atlantic flight has been
> exposed to someone who has the virus. I'm not convinced that holding a
> "more relaxed protocol" event is a great idea.

One thing that concerns me about flying to the US is going through multiple
busy international airports - take Heathrow which didn't separate incoming
travellers from red-listed countries from those of amber- or green- until like
a week ago.

Would it be practical/economical to charter a plane to fly, say, from a less
busy airport in Europe to a less busy airport in the US and back again if we
could get enough delegates together to make it worthwhile?

Chartering seems to be costed on miles flown rather than passenger count, but
I've only looked into it very briefly.

David