Re: kmemleak memory scanning

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Tue Jun 15 2021 - 04:12:14 EST

On 14.06.21 22:31, Rustam Kovhaev wrote:
hello Catalin, Andrew!

while troubleshooting a false positive syzbot kmemleak report i have
noticed an interesting behavior in kmemleak and i wonder whether it is
behavior by design and should be documented, or maybe something to
improve.

Hi,

See below regarding documentation.

apologies if some of the questions do not make sense, i am still going
through kmemleak code..

a) kmemleak scans struct page (kmemleak.c:1462), but it does not scan
the actual contents (page_address(page)) of the page.
if we allocate an object with kmalloc(), then allocate page with
alloc_page(), and if we put kmalloc pointer somewhere inside that page,
kmemleak will report kmalloc pointer as a false positive.
should we improve kmemleak and make it scan page contents?
or will this bring too many false negatives?

I looked into this a while ago to see which parts of the kernel end up reading random physical page content and was happy to see that kmemleak does *not* scan random physical memory :)

We have to be very careful when reading random physical page content, especially in virt environments this is really undesired, or when dealing with memory holes, memory with problematic semantics like gart memory ...

The doc (Documentation/dev-tools/kmemleak.rst) states "Page allocations and ioremap are not tracked.", which includes the alloc_page() example you gave I think.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb