Re: Parallelizing vmlinux BTF encoding. was Re: [RFT] Testing 1.22

From: Andrii Nakryiko
Date: Tue Jun 15 2021 - 17:27:17 EST

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
<acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Em Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 01:05:30PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko escreveu:
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:38 PM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
> > <arnaldo.melo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I thought about this as a logical next step, I would love to have a
> > > 'btf__merge_argv(struct btf *btf[]), is there one?
> > >
> > > But from what I've read after this first paragraph of yours, lemme try
> > > to rephrase:
> > >
> > > 1. pahole calls btf_encoder__new(...)
> > >
> > > Creates a single struct btf.
> > >
> > > 2. dwarf_loader will create N threads, each will call a
> > > dwarf_get_next_cu() that is locked and will return a CU to process, when
> > > it finishes this CU, calls btf_encoder__encode_cu() under an all-threads
> > > lock. Rinse repeat.
> > >
> > > Until all the threads have consumed all CUs.
> > >
> > > then btf_encoder__encode(), which should be probably renamed to
> > > btf_econder__finish() will call btf__dedup(encoder->btf) and write ELF
> > > or raw file.
> > >
> > > My first reaction to your first paragraph was:
> > >
> > > Yeah, we can have multiple 'struct btf' instances, one per thread, that
> > > will each contain a subset of DWARF CU's encoded as BTF, and then I have
> > > to merge the per-thread BTF and then dedup. O think my rephrase above is
> > > better, no?
> >
> > I think I understood what you want to do from the previous email, so
> > you didn't have to re-phrase it, it's pretty clear already. I just
> > don't feel like having per-thread struct btf adds any complexity at
> > all and gives more flexibility and more parallelism. The next most
> > expensive thing after loading DWARF is string deduplication
> > (btf__add_str()), so it would be good to do that at per-thread level
> > as well as much as possible.
>
> So you think a per-thread dedup at the end of each thread is good, ok,
> no locking, good.
>
> But what about that question I made:
>
> > > I thought about this as a logical next step, I would love to have a
> > > 'btf__merge_argv(struct btf *btf[]), is there one?

Right, sorry, got too excited about parallelisation, forgot to reply to this.

I thought about this a bit in the context of BPF static linker work.
This is a bit problematic as a general API, because merging two BTFs
is not just appending types one after the other and calling it a day.
For DATASEC, for instance, you need to take few DATASEC with the same
name and combine them into a single DATASEC, otherwise resulting BTF
is non-sensical. While you are doing that, you need to re-adjust
variable offsets, take into account original data section alignment
requirements, etc. This operation can't be done safely in BTF only,
you need to know original ELF information (e.g., that ELF section
alignment). This is all done by static linker explicitly because only
static linker has enough information to do that. It goes even further,
extern VARs and FUNCs have to be resolved and de-duplicated (e.g.,
extern can be replaced with globals), etc. There is too much attached
semantics to some of BTF data.

So as a general API I don't see how it can be done nicely. Unless we
say that we'll error out if any VAR or DATASEC is found, or any extern
FUNC. Which sounds like a not-so-great idea right now.

But pahole has a bit simpler case, because BTF vars and DATASEC(s) are
generated at the very end, so it shouldn't be so complicated for
pahole. libbpf provides a generic btf__add_type() API that copies over
any type and associated strings (field names, func/struct names, etc).
That's quite a reduction in amount of code written. The only thing is
that after that IDs have to be updated and adjusted, because libbpf
doesn't have enough info to do this. So take a look at btf__add_type()
as a starting point.

Next, libbpf internally has btf_type_visit_type_ids() which will
provide a callback for each place in any btf_type that contains an ID.
This is the best way to adjust those IDs. We can probably expose those
APIs as public API because they are well-defined and have
straightforward semantics. So let me know.

> I haven't checked, is there alredy an libbpf BTF API that can merge an
> array or pre-deduped BTF, deduping it one more time?

btf__dedup() can be called multiple times on any struct btf, so once
you merge (see above), you can just dedup the merged btf to make it
small again.

> Anyway, so you suggest I start by having each dwarf_loader thread tied
> to a separate btf_encoder (a shim layer on top of a 'struct btf' and
> then at the end dedup each one, then combine the N 'struct btf' into
> one, then dump it into an ELF or raw file?

Yes, exactly.