Re: perf tool: About tests debug level

From: John Garry
Date: Tue Jun 22 2021 - 07:58:38 EST

On 22/06/2021 06:04, Ian Rogers wrote:
---- end ----
Parse and process metrics: FAILED!

Note that the "FAILED" messages from the test code come from pr_debug().

In a way, I feel that pr_debug()/err from the test is more important
than pr_debug() from the core code (when running a test).

Any opinion on this or how to improve (if anyone agrees with me)? Or am
I missing something? Or is it not so important?
Hi John,

Hi Ian,

I think the issue is that in the parsing you don't know it's broken
until something goes wrong. Putting everything on pr_err would cause
spam in the not broken case.

Right, I would not suggest using pr_err everywhere.

Improving the parsing error handling is a
big task with lex and yacc to some extent getting in the way. Perhaps
a middle way is to have a parameter to the parser that logs more, and
recursively call this in the parser when parsing fails. I guess there
is also a danger of a performance hit.

So I am thinking that for running a test, -v means different levels logs for test code and for core (non-test code). For example, -v prints pr_warn() and higher for test logs, but nothing for core logs. And then -vv for running a test gives pr_debug and above for test logs, and pr_warn and above for core logs. Or something like that.

Maybe that is not a good idea. But I'm just saying that it's hard to debug currently at -v for tests.

Thanks,
John