Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: Laurent Pinchart
Date: Tue Jun 22 2021 - 20:07:20 EST

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 05:57:11PM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 6/22/21 5:33 PM, Shuah Khan wrote:

> >> Can we nominate moderators ahead of time ? For workshop-style
> >> discussions, they need to be a person who won't participate actively in
> >> the discussions, as it's impossible to both contribute and moderate at
> >> the same time.
> >
> > Correct. It will be impossible to participate and moderate in workshop
> > setting. We have to ask for volunteers and nominate moderators ahead of
> > time.
>
> Subsystems could seek volunteers from other subsystems perhaps ...

That's a good idea, and it's a great way to learn about other parts of
the kernel (or other open-source projects). This would need to be taken
into account when scheduling workshops though. I'd like to also propose
giving official recognition of the important role of moderators, for
instance by extending the speaker's gift scheme to moderators (no
personal interest here as I won't attend the conference in person and
thus can't be a moderator, and it's an easy to make suggestion for me as
I don't manage conference budgets :-)).

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart