Re: Plan for /dev/ioasid RFC v2

From: David Gibson
Date: Thu Jun 24 2021 - 00:53:43 EST

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 01:21:35AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

So I'm not entirely clear here if you're envisaging putting the device
into no-DMA mode by altering the IOMMU setup or by quiescing it at the
register level (e.g. by resetting it). But, neither approach allows
you to safely put a device into no-DMA mode if users have access to
another device in the group.

The IOMMU approach doesn't work, because the IOMMU may not be able to
distinguish the two devices from each other.

The register approach doesn't work, because even if you successfully
quiesce the device, the user could poke it indirectly via the other
device in the group, pulling it out of quiescent mode.

> Then no need to explicitly tell IOMMU layer
> to do so when it's bound to a new driver.
>
> Currently the default domain type applies even when a device is not
> bound. This implies that if iommu=passthrough a device is always
> allowed to access arbitrary system memory with or without a driver.
> I feel the current domain type (identity, dma, unmanged) should apply
> only when a driver is loaded...

A whole group has to be in the same DMA context at the same time.
That's the definition of a group.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson