Re: [RFC 2/3] net: Provide switchdev driver for NXP's More Than IP L2 switch

From: Lukasz Majewski
Date: Thu Jun 24 2021 - 06:53:22 EST

Hi Andrew,

> > > Using volatile is generally wrong. Why do you need it?
> >
> > This was the code, which I took from the legacy driver. I will
> > adjust it.
>
> It is called 'vendor crap' for a reason.

:-)

> > > As i said, phy-handle points to a phy. It minimum, you need to
> > > call this mac-handle. But that then makes this switch driver very
> > > different to every other switch driver.
> >
> > Other drivers (DSA for example) use "ethernet" or "link" properties.
> > Maybe those can be reused?
>
> Not really. They have well known meanings and they are nothing like
> what you are trying to do. You need a new name. Maybe 'mac-handle'?

Ok.

> > > What happens when somebody puts reg=<42>; in DT?
> >
> > I do guess that this will break the code.
> >
> > However, DSA DT descriptions also rely on the exact numbering [1]
> > (via e.g. reg property) of the ports. I've followed this paradigm.
>
> DSA does a range check:
>
> for_each_available_child_of_node(ports, port) {
> err = of_property_read_u32(port, "reg", &reg);
> if (err)
> goto out_put_node;
>
> if (reg >= ds->num_ports) {
> dev_err(ds->dev, "port %pOF index %u exceeds
> num_ports (%zu)\n", port, reg, ds->num_ports);
> err = -EINVAL;
> goto out_put_node;
> }

Ok.

> > > I would say, your basic structure needs to change, to make it more
> > > like other switchdev drivers. You need to replace the two FEC
> > > device instances with one switchdev driver.
> >
> > I've used the cpsw_new.c as the example.
> >
> > > The switchdev driver will then
> > > instantiate the two netdevs for the two external MACs.
> >
> > Then there is a question - what about eth[01], which already
> > exists?
>
> They don't exist. cpsw_new is not used at the same time as cpsw, it
> replaces it. This new driver would replace the FEC driver.

I see.

> cpsw_new
> makes use of some of the code in the cpsw driver to implement two
> netdevs. This new FEC switch driver would do the same, make use of
> some of the low level code, e.g. for DMA access, MDIO bus, etc.

I'm not sure if the imx28 switch is similar to one from TI (cpsw-3g)
- it looks to me that the bypass mode for both seems to be very
different. For example, on NXP when switch is disabled we need to
handle two DMA[01]. When it is enabled, only one is used. The approach
with two DMAs is best handled with FEC driver instantiation.

> > To be honest - such driver for L2 switch already has been forward
> > ported by me [2] to v4.19.
>
> Which is fine, you can do whatever you want in your own fork. But for
> mainline, we need a clean architecture.

This code is a forward port of vendor's (Freescale) old driver. It uses
the _wrong_ approach, but it can (still) be used in production after
some adjustments.

> I'm not convinced your code is
> that clean,

The code from [2] needs some vendor ioctl based tool (or hardcode) to
configure the switch.

> and how well future features can be added. Do you have
> support for VLANS? Adding and removing entries to the lookup tables?
> How will IGMP snooping work? How will STP work?

This can be easily added with serving netstack hooks (as it is already
done with cpsw_new) in the new switchdev based version [3] (based on
v5.12).

> Andrew

Links:

[3] -
https://source.denx.de/linux/linux-imx28-l2switch/-/commits/imx28-v5.12-L2-upstream-switchdev-RFC_v1

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@xxxxxxx