Re: [RFC v2] MEDIA: Driver for ON Semi AR0521 camera sensor

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Thu Jun 24 2021 - 07:10:55 EST

Em Tue, 22 Jun 2021 14:57:00 +0300
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> Thank you for the patch.
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 01:18:55PM +0200, Krzysztof Hałasa wrote:
> > Changes from v1:
> > - added power management (power supplies, no chip initialization in
> > probe()).
> > - added [HV]BLANK v4l2 ctrl interface (the "interval" interface is
> > still implemented for better timing control)
> > - many fixes, including ones requested by Laurent Pinchart.
> >
> > The driver has been extensively tested in an i.MX6-based system.
> >
> > Not yet signed off - this will change of course. Please do not merge
> > yet, however comments about being ready (or not) to be merged are
> > welcome.
>
> To spend time reviewing this code, I want to know it will be mergeable,
> and that requires a SoB line. That's a blocker I'm afraid.

If:
- the driver is in good shape, e. g. no coding style issues,
it uses the right kAPI at the right way, etc;
- the driver is based on the current media_tree.git tree;
- if you're willing to be responsible during the review process;
- you would provide maintainance support for the driver if
bugs are reported;
- the driver has a valid Signed-off-by;

then the driver is mergeable.

Media maintainers need a SoB in order to be able to review, as
driver review takes a lot of time and efforts from reviewers, and
the time they spend reviewing a driver prevents them to do their
(paid) work.

That's said, on a very quick check, it sounds that this driver requires
some work. For instance, it is based on an v4l2_subdev_pad_config,
which was recently replaced upstream.

Thanks,
Mauro