Re: [RFC v2] MEDIA: Driver for ON Semi AR0521 camera sensor

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Jun 24 2021 - 10:31:24 EST

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 04:17:28PM +0200, Krzysztof Hałasa wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> How about a book, e.g. describing a patch submission process (but not
> >> a copy of kernel's Documentation). The same?
> >
> > That does not make sense, please explain.
>
> Why not? I can put such a text on a book (say, an e-book) as well.

Where would that text be and what would it mean?

> I'd say you're right with the absence of indication to the contrary -
> but if someone explicitly states something is not (e.g. yet) under GPL,
> then how one could say SPDX-something has legal precedence is beyound
> me.

It is identical to saying "this file is licensed under this specific
license". That is what a spdx line means, please read up on them if you
are curious.

> > S-o-b is a DIFFERENT thing entirely. Please go read the DCO for what
> > you are agreeing to there, it is a declaration for what you are doing.
>
> Well, that's my position.

That's not what a signed-off-by means, please do not try to make it
something it is not.

thanks,

greg k-h