Re: Issues during assigning addresses on point to point interfaces

From: Pali Rohár
Date: Fri Jun 25 2021 - 11:27:45 EST

On Friday 25 June 2021 17:06:21 Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
> Le 25/06/2021 à 10:40, Pali Rohár a écrit :

> >> If I remember well, there was an issue in the uAPI.
> >> IFA_LOCAL is supposed to be the address of the interface and IFA_ADDRESS is
> >> supposed to be the endpoint of a point-to-point interface.
> >> However, in case of IPv6, it was not the case. In netlink messages generated by
> >> the kernel, IFA_ADDRESS was used instead of IFA_LOCAL.
> >> The patch tried to keep the backward compatibility and the symmetry between msg
> >> from userland and notification from the kernel.
> >
> > Hello Nicolas!
> >
> > See my original email where I put also rtnetlink packets (how strace see
> > them). Seems that there is a bug in handling them (or bug in iproute2)
> > as setting just peer (remote) IPv6 address is ignored:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20210606151008.7dwx5ukrlvxt4t3k@pali/
> >
> > Do you have any idea if this is affected by that "issue in the uAPI"?
> > And what is the way how to fix it?
> What about forcing IFA_LOCAL address to :: in your case?

It does not work. ip address returns error:

$ sudo ip address add :: peer fe80::8 dev ppp0
RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

Here is strace output:

sendmsg(3, {
msg_name={
sa_family=AF_NETLINK,
nl_pid=0,
nl_groups=00000000
},
msg_namelen=12,
msg_iov=[{
iov_base={
{
len=64,
type=RTM_NEWADDR,
flags=NLM_F_REQUEST|NLM_F_ACK|NLM_F_EXCL|NLM_F_CREATE,
seq=1624633811,
pid=0
},
{

[...]