Re: [GIT PULL] ACPI updates for v5.14-rc1

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Jun 30 2021 - 06:47:41 EST

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 09:01:10PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Erik Kaneda (6):
> ACPICA: Fix memory leak caused by _CID repair function
> ACPICA: iASL: add disassembler support for PRMT
> ACPICA: Add support for PlatformRtMechanism OperationRegion handler
> ACPICA: Add PRMT module header to facilitate parsing
> ACPI: PRM: implement OperationRegion handler for the
> PlatformRtMechanism subtype

$ git checkout master
$ git pull
$ make oldconfig

Platform Runtime Mechanism Support (ACPI_PRMT) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?

There is no help available for this option.
Symbol: ACPI_PRMT [=y]
Type : bool
Defined at drivers/acpi/Kconfig:547
Prompt: Platform Runtime Mechanism Support
Depends on: EFI [=y] && X86_64 [=y]
Location:
-> Power management and ACPI options

Platform Runtime Mechanism Support (ACPI_PRMT) [Y/n/?] (NEW)

I don't know what that means, there's no help, no nothing. And it is
default y for no apparent reason.

/me looks at the commit message:

Platform Runtime Mechanism (PRM) is a firmware interface that exposes
a set of binary executables that can either be called from the AML
interpreter or device drivers by bypassing the AML interpreter.
This change implements the AML interpreter path.

I'm still unclear whether I need it or not.

Guys, you need to think about your users and to write help text which is
*actually* usable for people who do not deal with ACPI firmware gunk.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.