Re: [GIT PULL] vboxsf fixes for 5.14-1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 03 2021 - 20:10:45 EST

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> TBH, I had forgotten that we had an in-kernel ntfs implementation.

Well, that's the one we are comparing to, so forgetting it is a bit of
an oversight.

> Whenver I've ever needed to access ntfs files, I've always used the
> ntfs-3g FUSE package.

The user-space FUSE thing does indeed work reasonably well.

It performs horribly badly if you care about things like that, though.

In fact, your own numbers kind of show that:

ntfs/default: 670 tests, 55 failures, 211 skipped, 34783 seconds
ntfs3/default: 664 tests, 67 failures, 206 skipped, 8106 seconds

and that's kind of the point of ntfs3.

Linus