Re: [REPORT] Request for reviewing crypto code wrt wait_for_completion()

From: Herbert Xu
Date: Sun Aug 08 2021 - 00:46:26 EST

On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 12:46:39PM +0900, Byungchul Park wrote:

> > > THREAD C
> > > --------
> > > C1 cryptomgr_test()
> > > C2 crypto_alg_tested()
> > > C3 complete_all(c)
> > >
> > > For example, in this situation, I think C3 could wake up both A6 and B9
> > > before THREAD B reaches B10 which is not desired by A6. Say, is it okay
> > > to wake up A6 with B7 ~ B9 having yet to complete?
> >
> > AFAICS thread C only wakes up test larvals, not instantiation larvals.
> > Please let me know if you have any further issues.
>
> The both cases looks like to get the larvals from the same list,
> crypto_alg_list, one from crypto_larval_lookup() and the other from
> __crypto_register_alg(). So I thought a single larval can be used at the
> same time both at crypto_wait_for_test() and crypto_alg_mod_lookup() by
> any chance. It would be great if the code ensures it never happens :-)

Perhaps it's not obvious but the distinguishing feature between test
larvals and the other kind of larvals is that test larvals have a
non-null cra_driver_name field.

In crypto_alg_tested we specifically exclude non-test larvals
when doing the lookup.

> The problematic scenario I wanted to ask you looks like - I was
> wondering if it's okay to nest requesting CRYPTO_MSG_ALG_REQUEST and
> CRYPTO_MSG_ALG_REGISTER in a single stack, in other words, if it's okay
> to try CRYPTO_MSG_ALG_REGISTER before completing CRYPTO_MSG_ALG_REQUEST.
>
> A1 crypto_alg_mod_lookup()
> A2 crypto_probing_notify(CRYPTO_MSG_ALG_REQUEST)
> A3 cryptomgr_schedule_probe()
> A4 kthread_run(cyptomgr_probe) ---> Start THREAD B
>
> B1 cryptomgr_probe()
> B2 pkcslpad_create()
> B3 crypto_wait_for_test()
> B4 crypto_probing_notify(CRYPTO_MSG_ALG_REGISTER)
> B5 cryptomgr_schedule_test()
> B6 kthread_run(cyptomgr_test) ---> Start THREAD C
>
> C1 cryptomgr_test()
> C2 crypto_alg_tested()
> C3 complete_all(c) <- *the point* that I'd like to ask you.

Well c in this case can only be a test larval so it cannot wake
up thread A which is waiting on a non-test larval.

> A5 crypto_larval_wait()
> A6 wait_for_completion_killable_timeout(c) /* waiting for B10 */
> (wake up and go)
>
> Bx wait_for_completion_killable(c) /* waiting for C3 */
> (wake up and go)
> Bx tmpl->alloc()
> Bx crupto_register_instance()
> B10 complete_all(c)