Re: [RFC v2] /dev/iommu uAPI proposal

From: David Gibson
Date: Tue Aug 10 2021 - 01:50:06 EST

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:34:06AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

Which works as long as (just device fd) and (device fd + PASID) covers
all the options. If we have new possibilities we need new interfaces.
And, that can't even handle the case of one endpoint for multiple
devices (e.g. ACS-incapable bridge).

> the user view is then converted to the kernel view of routing (rid or
> rid+pasid) by vfio driver and then passed to iommu fd in the attaching
> operation. and GET_INFO interface is provided for the user to check
> whether a device supports multiple IOASes and whether pasid space is
> delegated to the user. We just need a better name if pasid is considered
> too pci specific...
>
> But creating an endpoint per ioasid and making it centered in uAPI is not
> what the IOMMU layer cares about.

It's not an endpoint per ioasid. You can have multiple endpoints per
ioasid, just not the other way around. As it is multiple IOASes per
device means *some* sort of disambiguation (generally by PASID) which
is hard to describe generall. Having endpoints as a first-class
concept makes that simpler.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson