Re: RFC - kernel test result specification (KTAP)

From: Brendan Higgins
Date: Wed Aug 11 2021 - 16:53:38 EST

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 4:25 PM Rae Moar <rmoar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We are looking to further standardise the output format used by kernel
> test frameworks like kselftest and KUnit. Thus far we have used the
> TAP (Test Anything Protocol) specification, but it has been extended
> in many different ways, so we would like to agree on a common "Kernel
> TAP" (KTAP) format to resolve these differences. Thus, below is a
> draft of a specification of KTAP. Note that this specification is
> largely based on the current format of test results for KUnit tests.
>
> Additionally, this specification was heavily inspired by the KTAP
> specification draft by Tim Bird
> (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kselftest/CY4PR13MB1175B804E31E502221BC8163FD830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/).
> However, there are some notable differences to his specification. One
> such difference is the format of nested tests is more fully specified
> in the following specification. However, they are specified in a way
> which may not be compatible with many kselftest nested tests.

Thanks for putting this together, Rae! I would definitely like to see
us moving forward with standardizing fully on the KTAP spec.

I am surprised to not yet see any comments here.

I was thinking that this might make a good BoF topic at LPC, but I
guess that depends on how interested people are in this topic.