Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Fixes and clean ups for v5.14

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 12 2021 - 14:17:36 EST

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 8:04 AM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just used some default settings. I didn't choose to use -Wmain.

What broken distro, what broken gcc version?

We can certainly add a -Wno-main for this case. We already do that for
a lot of other idiotic warnings like -Wno-pointer-sign.

But when we do so, I want the exact tool and distro version named and
shamed. Because I sure don't see that warning, and from what I can
tell, most other people don't see it either.

So it's almost certainly your distro that has configured the gcc
install incorrectly - or some new gcc version that makes new insane
defaults. The commit message should talk about those kinds of details,
exactly so that people like me get an explanation for why we'd need
that odd '-Wno-main' flag.

Maybe even the line in the Makefile should have it. Like that
-Wno-pointer-sign thing does:

# disable pointer signed / unsigned warnings in gcc 4.0
KBUILD_CFLAGS += -Wno-pointer-sign

just because unexplained random compiler flags are a bad thing (the
same way unexplained random code changes due to them are bad)

Linus