Re: Removing Mandatory Locks

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Aug 20 2021 - 09:43:21 EST

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:32:31 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I originally thought WARN_ON_ONCE() just to get the distro automatic
> error handling involved, but it would probably be a big problem for
> the people who end up having panic-on-warn or something.
>
> So probably just a "make it a big box" thing that stands out, kind of
> what lockdep etc does with
>
> pr_warn("======...====\n");
>
> around the messages..
>
> I don't know if distros have some pattern we could use that would end
> up being something that gets reported to the user?

People have started using my trace-printk notice message, that seems to
be big enough to get noticed.

** NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE **
** **
** trace_printk() being used. Allocating extra memory. **
** **
** This means that this is a DEBUG kernel and it is **
** unsafe for production use. **
** **
** If you see this message and you are not debugging **
** the kernel, report this immediately to your vendor! **
** **
** NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE **

There's been some talk about making that a more "generic" warning
message too.

-- Steve