Re: [RFC net-next 1/7] ptp: Add interface for acquiring DPLL state

From: Richard Cochran
Date: Fri Aug 20 2021 - 11:55:45 EST

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 03:40:22PM +0000, Machnikowski, Maciej wrote:

> If it helps we'd be happy to separate that in 2 separate RFCs.

It would help me if you could explain the connection. I have a
totally different understanding of SyncE which I explained here:

https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20150317161128.GA8793@localhost.localdomain/

So you need to implement two things, one in kernel and one in user
space.

1. Control bits according to IEEE 802.3 Section 40.5.2 as Ethtool or RTNL.

2. User space Ethernet Synchronization Messaging Channel (ESMC)
service according to IEEE 802.3ay

The PHY should be automatically controlled by #1.

As I said before, none of this belongs in the PHC subsystem.

Thanks,
Richard