Re: TODO list for staging/r8188eu

From: Fabio M. De Francesco
Date: Sun Aug 22 2021 - 12:13:53 EST

On Sunday, August 22, 2021 5:09:47 PM CEST Phillip Potter wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 at 14:50, Fabio M. De Francesco
> <fmdefrancesco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > staging

> > www.kernel.org/

> > > Why don't you provide an initial list for people to work off of if you
> > > feel it is needed here?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > greg k-h
> >
> > Unfortunately I'm not able to tell what is needed to do to have a driver
> > improved so that it can be moved off staging. This work should be better
> > addressed by someone who is much more experienced.
> >
> > For example, I read from other drivers TODO lists that cfg80211 and lib80211
> > are required but I don't know what they are.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Fabio
>
> Dear Fabio,
>
> I believe Larry is working on hooking up CFG80211 again (he mentioned
> going quite for a few days to work on it). As for other stuff that
> needs doing, a few things come to mind:
>
> * Removal of dead code (whether or not this includes the
> debugging/printing macros is a matter of opinion, I would say yes
> personally) such as unused functions, struct fields, etc.
> * Correction of code styling in the kernel (e.g. there is a lot of camel case).
> * Use of in-kernel functionality and removal of unnecessary wrappers
> where possible.
> * Removal of the HAL layer and migration of its functionality into the
> driver as a whole - this is an important one I would argue.
>
> There is likely to be lots of other items not on that list, but that
> would seem to be the basis of a TODO list if we need one?
>
> Regards,
> Phil

Dear Philip,

Thanks for this initial list. I suppose that every driver in staging should have it.
If you like I could send a patch with the list you prepared, unless you prefer to
make it yourself (since you wrote it). Please let me know what you prefer.

We shouldn't forget that from time to time new people decide to enter kernel
hacking through staging. I think that a list could help all future newcomers.

Thanks,

Fabio