Re: [RFC] Make use of non-dynamic dmabuf in RDMA

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Tue Aug 24 2021 - 13:57:14 EST

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 10:27:23AM -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
> On 8/24/21 2:32 AM, Christian König wrote:

> > > I replied to your previous mail, but I'll ask again.
> > > Doesn't the pin operation migrate the memory to host memory?
> >
> > Sorry missed your previous reply.
> >
> > And yes at least for the amdgpu driver we migrate the memory to host
> > memory as soon as it is pinned and I would expect that other GPU drivers
> > do something similar.
>
> Well...for many topologies, migrating to host memory will result in a
> dramatically slower p2p setup. For that reason, some GPU drivers may
> want to allow pinning of video memory in some situations.
>
> Ideally, you've got modern ODP devices and you don't even need to pin.
> But if not, and you still hope to do high performance p2p between a GPU
> and a non-ODP Infiniband device, then you would need to leave the pinned
> memory in vidmem.
>
> So I think we don't want to rule out that behavior, right? Or is the
> thinking more like, "you're lucky that this old non-ODP setup works at
> all, and we'll make it work by routing through host/cpu memory, but it
> will be slow"?

I think it depends on the user, if the user creates memory which is
permanently located on the GPU then it should be pinnable in this way
without force migration. But if the memory is inherently migratable
then it just cannot be pinned in the GPU at all as we can't
indefinately block migration from happening eg if the CPU touches it
later or something.

Jason