Re: [RFC] Make use of non-dynamic dmabuf in RDMA

From: John Hubbard
Date: Wed Aug 25 2021 - 02:47:59 EST

On 8/24/21 11:17 PM, Christian König wrote:
I think it depends on the user, if the user creates memory which is
permanently located on the GPU then it should be pinnable in this way
without force migration. But if the memory is inherently migratable
then it just cannot be pinned in the GPU at all as we can't
indefinately block migration from happening eg if the CPU touches it
later or something.

Yes, exactly that's the point. Especially GPUs have a great variety of setups.

For example we have APUs where the local memory is just stolen system memory and all buffers must be migrate-able because you might need all of this stolen memory for scanout or page tables. In this case P2P only makes sense to avoid the migration overhead in the first place.

Then you got dGPUs where only a fraction of the VRAM is accessible from the PCIe BUS. Here you also absolutely don't want to pin any buffers because that can easily crash when we need to migrate something into the visible window for CPU access.

The only real option where you could do P2P with buffer pinning are those compute boards where we know that everything is always accessible to everybody and we will never need to migrate anything. But even then you want some mechanism like cgroups to take care of limiting this. Otherwise any runaway process can bring down your whole system.

Key question at least for me as GPU maintainer is if we are going to see modern compute boards together with old non-ODP setups. Since those compute boards are usually used with new hardware (like PCIe v4 for example) the answer I think is most likely "no".

That is a really good point. Times have changed and I guess ODP is on most (all?) of
the new Infiniband products now, and maybe we don't need to worry so much about
providing first-class support for non-ODP setups.

I've got to drag my brain into 2021+! :)

thanks,
--
John Hubbard
NVIDIA