RE: [5.14-rc1] mlx5_core receives no interrupts with maxcpus=8

From: Dexuan Cui
Date: Sun Aug 29 2021 - 16:11:51 EST

I didn't know about this. Thanks for the reply!

> According to your debug output the interrupt in question belongs to the
> INTEL-IR-3 interrupt domain, which means it hangs of IOMMU3, aka DMAR
> unit 3.
>
> To which DMAR/remap unit are the other unaffected devices connected to?
>
> tglx

With maxcpus=8, on CPU 5, the NIC receives no interrupt, but a NVMe
interrupt ("INTEL-IR-6") on the CPU works, and two "IOAT" interrupts
("INTEL-IR-7") also work.

Except the NIC, the only IRQs connected to the faulty IOMMU3 are
irq33 and irq34:

root@lsg-gen7-a:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/irq/irqs/33
handler: handle_fasteoi_irq
device: (null)
status: 0x00004100
istate: 0x00000000
ddepth: 1
wdepth: 0
dstate: 0x3503a000
IRQD_LEVEL
IRQD_IRQ_DISABLED
IRQD_IRQ_MASKED
IRQD_SINGLE_TARGET
IRQD_MOVE_PCNTXT
IRQD_AFFINITY_ON_ACTIVATE
IRQD_CAN_RESERVE
IRQD_HANDLE_ENFORCE_IRQCTX
node: 1
affinity: 0-103
effectiv: 0
pending:
domain: IO-APIC-18
hwirq: 0x0
chip: IR-IO-APIC
flags: 0x10
IRQCHIP_SKIP_SET_WAKE
parent:
domain: INTEL-IR-3
hwirq: 0x0
chip: INTEL-IR
flags: 0x0
parent:
domain: VECTOR
hwirq: 0x21
chip: APIC
flags: 0x0
Vector: 0
Target: 0
move_in_progress: 0
is_managed: 0
can_reserve: 1
has_reserved: 1
cleanup_pending: 0

root@lsg-gen7-a:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/irq/irqs/34
handler: handle_edge_irq
device: 0000:d7:00.0
status: 0x00004000
istate: 0x00000000
ddepth: 0
wdepth: 0
dstate: 0x37408200
IRQD_ACTIVATED
IRQD_IRQ_STARTED
IRQD_SINGLE_TARGET
IRQD_MOVE_PCNTXT
IRQD_AFFINITY_ON_ACTIVATE
IRQD_CAN_RESERVE
IRQD_DEFAULT_TRIGGER_SET
IRQD_HANDLE_ENFORCE_IRQCTX
node: 1
affinity: 0-7
effectiv: 1
pending:
domain: INTEL-IR-MSI-3-3
hwirq: 0x6b80000
chip: IR-PCI-MSI
flags: 0x30
IRQCHIP_SKIP_SET_WAKE
IRQCHIP_ONESHOT_SAFE
parent:
domain: INTEL-IR-3
hwirq: 0x10000
chip: INTEL-IR
flags: 0x0
parent:
domain: VECTOR
hwirq: 0x22
chip: APIC
flags: 0x0
Vector: 34
Target: 1
move_in_progress: 0
is_managed: 0
can_reserve: 1
has_reserved: 0
cleanup_pending: 0

root@lsg-gen7-a:~# lspci |grep d7:00.0
d7:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sky Lake-E PCI Express Root Port A (rev 07)

irq 33 doesn't appear in /proc/interupts.
irq 34 in /proc/interupts also receives no interrupts.

So it looks like IOMMU3 is somehow not working at all
with maxcpus=8. "onlining and offlining CPU 8~31" can
somehow "fix" it. :-) I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue
or firmware issue.

Thanks,
Dexuan