Re: [syzbot] general protection fault in legacy_parse_param

From: Christian Brauner
Date: Tue Aug 31 2021 - 03:38:35 EST

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 10:41:29AM -0700, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 8/30/2021 9:57 AM, Christian Brauner wrote:

> >> Here's my proposed patch. I'll tidy it up with a proper
> >> commit message if it looks alright to y'all. I've tested
> >> with Smack and with and without BPF.
> > Looks good to me.
> > On question, in contrast to smack, selinux returns 1 instead of 0 on
> > success. So selinux would cause an early return preventing other hooks
> > from running. Just making sure that this is intentional.
> >
> > Iirc, this would mean that selinux causes fsconfig() to return a
> > positive value to userspace which I think is a bug; likely in selinux.
> > So I think selinux should either return 0 or the security hook itself
> > needs to overwrite a positive value with a sensible errno that can be
> > seen by userspace.
>
> I think that I agree. The SELinux and Smack versions of the
> hook are almost identical except for setting rc to 1 in the
> SELinux case. And returning 1 makes no sense if you follow
> the callers back. David Howells wrote both the SELinux and
> Smack versions. David - why are they different? which is correct?

The documentation for fs_context_parse_param notes:

* @fs_context_parse_param:
* Userspace provided a parameter to configure a superblock. The LSM may
* reject it with an error and may use it for itself, in which case it
* should return 0; otherwise it should return -ENOPARAM to pass it on to
* the filesystem.
* @fc indicates the filesystem context.
* @param The parameter

So we should simply make selinux return 0 on top of your patch when it
has consumed the option.