RE: [RFC] KVM: mm: fd-based approach for supporting KVM guest private memory

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Wed Sep 01 2021 - 03:12:43 EST

FYI the iommu logic in VFIO is being refactored out into an unified /dev/iommu
framework [1]. Currently it plans to support the same DMA mapping semantics
as what VFIO provides today (HVA-based). in the future it could be extended
to support another mapping protocol which accepts fd+offset instead of HVA
and then calls the helper function from whatever backing store which can help
translate fd+offset to HPA instead of using GUP.

Thanks
Kevin

[1]https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/BN9PR11MB5433B1E4AE5B0480369F97178C189@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/