Re: [GIT PULL] Memory folios for v5.15

From: Zi Yan
Date: Thu Sep 02 2021 - 11:13:33 EST

On 1 Sep 2021, at 13:43, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 10:38:20PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 04:27:04PM -0400, Johannes Weiner wrote:
>>> Right, page tables only need a pfn. The struct page is for us to
>>> maintain additional state about the object.
>>>
>>> For the objects that are subpage sized, we should be able to hold that
>>> state (shrinker lru linkage, referenced bit, dirtiness, ...) inside
>>> ad-hoc allocated descriptors.
>>>
>>> Descriptors which could well be what struct folio {} is today, IMO. As
>>> long as it doesn't innately assume, or will assume, in the API the
>>> 1:1+ mapping to struct page that is inherent to the compound page.
>>
>> Maybe this is where we fundamentally disagree. I don't think there's
>> any point in *managing* memory in a different size from that in which it
>> is *allocated*. There's no point in tracking dirtiness, LRU position,
>> locked, etc, etc in different units from allocation size. The point of
>> tracking all these things is so we can allocate and free memory. If
>> a 'cache descriptor' reaches the end of the LRU and should be reclaimed,
>> that's wasted effort in tracking if the rest of the 'cache descriptor'
>> is dirty and heavily in use. So a 'cache descriptor' should always be
>> at least a 'struct page' in size (assuming you're using 'struct page'
>> to mean "the size of the smallest allocation unit from the page
>> allocator")
>
> First off, we've been doing this with the slab shrinker for decades.
>
> Second, you'll still be doing this when you track 4k struct pages in a
> system that is trying to serve primarily higher-order pages. Whether
> you free N cache descriptors to free a page, or free N pages to free a
> compound page, it's the same thing. You won't avoid this problem.

>>> I wasn't claiming otherwise..?
>>
>> You snipped the part of my paragraph that made the 'No' make sense.
>> I'm agreeing that page tables will continue to be a problem, but
>> everything else (page cache, anon, networking, slab) I expect to be
>> using higher order allocations within the next year.
>
> Some, maybe, but certainly not all of them. I'd like to remind you of
> this analysis that Al did on the linux source tree with various page
> sizes:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/YGVUobKUMUtEy1PS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Page size Footprint
> 4Kb 1128Mb
> 8Kb 1324Mb
> 16Kb 1764Mb
> 32Kb 2739Mb
> 64Kb 4832Mb
> 128Kb 9191Mb
> 256Kb 18062Mb
> 512Kb 35883Mb
> 1Mb 71570Mb
> 2Mb 142958Mb
>
> Even just going to 32k more than doubles the cache footprint of this
> one repo. This is a no-go from a small-file scalability POV.
>
> I think my point stands: for the foreseeable future, we're going to
> continue to see demand for 4k cache entries as well as an increasing
> [...]

Initially, I thought it was a great idea to bump PAGE_SIZE to 2MB and
use slab allocator like method for <2MB pages. But as I think about it
more, I fail to see how it solves the existing fragmentation issues
compared to our existing method, pageblock, since IMHO the fundamental
issue of fragmentation in page allocation comes from mixing moveable
and unmoveable pages in one pageblock, which does not exist in current
slab allocation. There is no mix of reclaimable and unreclaimable objects
in slab allocation, right? In my mind, reclaimable object is an analog
of moveable page and unreclaimable object is an analog of unmoveable page.
In addition, pageblock with different migrate types resembles how
slab groups objects, so what is new in using slab instead of pageblock?

My key question is do we allow mixing moveable sub-2MB data chunks with
unmoveable sub-2MB data chunks in your new slab-like allocation method?

If yes, how would kernel reclaim an order-0 (2MB) page that has an
unmoveable sub-2MB data chunk? Isn’t it the same fragmentation situation
we are facing nowadays when kernel tries to allocate a 2MB page but finds
every 2MB pageblock has an unmoveable page?

If no, why wouldn’t kernel do the same for pageblock? If kernel disallows
page allocation fallbacks, so that unmoveable pages and moveable pages
will not sit in a single pageblock, compaction and reclaim should be able
to get a 2MB free page most of the time. And this would be a much smaller
change, right?

Let me know if I miss anything.

--
Best Regards,