Re: New warning: PRMT not found

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Mon Sep 06 2021 - 07:51:32 EST

Dear Rafael, dear Len,

Intel’s MTA rejects Erik’s address:

<erik.kaneda@xxxxxxxxx>: host mga17.intel.com[192.55.52.151] said: 550 #5.1.0
Address rejected. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

So, I assume Erik left Intel.

Am 26.07.21 um 09:42 schrieb Paul Menzel:
Dear Erik,

The new code added in commit cefc7ca462 (ACPI: PRM: implement OperationRegion handler for the PlatformRtMechanism subtype) causes Linux to log a warning on my desktop system Asus F2A85-M PRO.

    PRMT not found

The help text for the Kconfig option `ACPI_PRMT` suggests it’s mainly used for server systems, so the warning does not apply to a lot of systems. Therefore, in my opinion, the option should not be selected by default, or the warning be removed or demoted, and phrased in a way, that users can understand the consequences.

The new warning shows up on a lot of systems, with no indication what to do about it or why Linux actually warns about it.

Should the message be removed entirely? Or is there another indicator for systems where absent PRMT causes problems, so should be warned about?

Kind regards,

Paul