Re: New warning: PRMT not found

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Mon Sep 06 2021 - 10:15:22 EST

Dear Rafael, dear Aubrey,

Thank you for replying.

Am 06.09.21 um 14:02 schrieb Rafael J. Wysocki:
On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Paul Menzel <pmenzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[…]

Am 26.07.21 um 09:42 schrieb Paul Menzel:

The new code added in commit cefc7ca462 (ACPI: PRM: implement
OperationRegion handler for the PlatformRtMechanism subtype) causes
Linux to log a warning on my desktop system Asus F2A85-M PRO.

PRMT not found

The help text for the Kconfig option `ACPI_PRMT` suggests it’s mainly
used for server systems, so the warning does not apply to a lot of
systems. Therefore, in my opinion, the option should not be selected by
default, or the warning be removed or demoted, and phrased in a way,
that users can understand the consequences.

The new warning shows up on a lot of systems, with no indication what to
do about it or why Linux actually warns about it.

Should the message be removed entirely? Or is there another indicator
for systems where absent PRMT causes problems, so should be warned about?

This should be addressed by commit 2bbfa0addd63 "ACPI: PRM: Deal with
table not present or no module found", or yet another fix is needed.

Linux still warns on my systems with Linux 5.14 and Linus’ master in QEMU i440fx and an Asus F2A85-M PRO.

Kind regards,

Paul