Re: [GIT PULL v2] Kbuild updates for v5.15-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 06 2021 - 12:30:34 EST

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 8:50 AM Segher Boessenkool
<segher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes they are. It is the single standard way to get the functionality
> you want.

Sorry, but 'standard' is the part that the kernel simply doesn't do.

Just face it. The kernel isn't written with all those standards that
are designed for entirely different things in mind.

> I don't know why you think you can separate that. Take <stdarg.h> --
> there is no other (portable, standard) way to implement receiving
> variadic arguments.

You clearly haven't actually read the thread.

That was my whole argument. For the _historical_ situation.

Linus