Re: [GIT PULL v2] Kbuild updates for v5.15-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 06 2021 - 14:12:00 EST

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM Segher Boessenkool
<segher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But this whole thread is about removing uses of <stdarg.h>, and
> eventually removing the
> -nostdinc -isystem $(shell $(CC) -print-file-name=include)

Yes.

But your argument against it was based on that past argument of it
being compiler-specific, in ways that are not true any more.

Happily, it clearly is the case that compilers have standardized their
internal implementation of this in ways that means that we actually
_could_ do this for <stdarg.h>.

Exactly the way we do it for pretty much every other header file.

IOW, <stdarg.h> is no longer the special thing it used to be.

We use the compiler intrinsics without the C library header files for
everything else, so doing so for <stdarg.h> seems to actually be a
clarification and improvement.

Linus