Re: Folio discussion recap

From: Kirill A. Shutemov
Date: Fri Sep 10 2021 - 21:23:29 EST

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 04:16:28PM -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> So we should listen to the MM people.

Count me here.

I think the problem with folio is that everybody wants to read in her/his
hopes and dreams into it and gets disappointed when see their somewhat
related problem doesn't get magically fixed with folio.

Folio started as a way to relief pain from dealing with compound pages.
It provides an unified view on base pages and compound pages. That's it.

It is required ground work for wider adoption of compound pages in page
cache. But it also will be useful for anon THP and hugetlb.

Based on adoption rate and resulting code, the new abstraction has nice
downstream effects. It may be suitable for more than it was intended for
initially. That's great.

But if it doesn't solve your problem... well, sorry...

The patchset makes a nice step forward and cuts back on mess I created on
the way to huge-tmpfs.

I would be glad to see the patchset upstream.

--
Kirill A. Shutemov