Re: [GIT PULL] Misc driver fix for 5.15-rc1

From: Kees Cook
Date: Sun Sep 12 2021 - 15:17:56 EST

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:03:35PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Could we please just stop pointlessly printing out kernel version data
> that is already available other ways? Just do 'dmesg', or 'uname -r'
> or whatever instead of insisting on printing out redundant
> information?

This was done to deal with the various mangling of reports (i.e.
"summaries") I've been getting from CI systems that run LKDTM. It has been
difficult to reliably extract actionable details, so instead I included
it with the test output. And the extra details go the other way too:
frequently folks configuring the CI have no context for why tests fail,
and LKDTM usually has a reasonable amount of information about what
Kconfig settings have gone missing, etc, so those hints are reported as
well.

--
Kees Cook