Re: [GIT PULL] cifs/smb3 client fixes

From: Steve French
Date: Tue Sep 14 2021 - 17:22:06 EST

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 1:06 PM Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:43 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 10:09 AM Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> > I'm ok with directory renames, git handles it all well enough that the
> > pain should be fairly minimal.
> >
> > I'd ask for that to be done during a fairly calm cycle, though, when
> > there isn't a lot pending, so that any rename conflicts will be
> > minimized.
<snip>
> > > Do you have any objections to me renaming the client's source
> > > directory to "fs/smb3" (or fs/smb) and fs/smb3_common ...?
> >
> > So no objections to the rename per se, but can we please use a more
> > specific name that is *not* tainted by history?
> >
> > I'll throw out two suggestions, but they are just that: (a) "smbfs" or
> > (b) "smb-client".

Due to git history for fs/smbfs directory (from many, many years ago) rename
to "fs/smbfs" could be more confusing. So alternative suggestion which
I implemented
was rename the source directory from fs/cifs to "fs/smbfs_client." I
will send a P/R
for that since it is fairly quiet right now. If you would prefer that
we wait for a future
release that is fine too, but seems like low risk now and might reduce
future confusion in
the future (to rename the source directory).