Re: Improvement suggestion for creation of next [Was: linux-next: manual merge of the dmaengine tree with the driver-core tree]

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Thu Sep 16 2021 - 02:27:55 EST

Hi Uwe,

[Sorry this took so long]

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:10:14 +0200 Uwe Kleine-König <u.kleine-koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I intended to take a look at the resolution that Vinod pushed in his
> tree. To find his tree and the right branch my approach in such a
> situation is usually:
>
> uwe@taurus:~/gsrc/linux$ git name-rev d9e5481fca74
> d9e5481fca74 tags/next-20210722~22^2~2
>
> so it was merged in tags/next-20210722~22, looking at that I see:
>
> uwe@taurus:~/gsrc/linux$ git show tags/next-20210722~22
> commit 65da974af6a0d913cde0cf59f517322bceac24a7
> Merge remote-tracking branch 'dmaengine/next'
>
> and then I have to lookup what dmaengine/next means in next-20210722:
>
> uwe@taurus:~/gsrc/linux$ git show next-20210722 | grep dmaen
> +dmaengine git git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/dmaengine.git#next
>
> You could save me the last step if you used
>
> git pull dmaengine next
>
> instead of
>
> git merge dmaengine/next
>
> because then the commit message of tags/next-20210722~22 would be:
>
> Merge branch 'next' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/dmaengine.git
>
> which is much more useful than
>
> Merge remote-tracking branch 'dmaengine/next'
>
> . Otherwise the result should be the same (apart from fetching the
> changes a tad later maybe).

Thanks for the feed back.

I prefer to fetch all the trees (and run my checking scripts across
them independently of the merge/build cycle. However, I have improved
the merge commit messages (I think). Please check out today's
linux-next. I have decided to remove the SHA1 from the message, as you
can see that from what is merged anyway.

Let me know if this is better for you.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell