Unloading a module with a function which is used by a static call

From: Denis Efremov
Date: Fri Sep 17 2021 - 16:07:30 EST

Hi,

I'm not sure, but is it intentional that we don't increase a module refcounter
when we call static_call_update()? Let's imagine that:

we load "Module A" with:
void fire_a(...) {...}
DEFINE_STATIC_CALL(fire, fire_a);
EXPORT_STATIC_CALL_GPL(fire);
static_call(fire)(); // from time-to-time
and load "Module B" that:
void fire_b(...) {...}
static_call_update(fire, &fire_b);

and then unload "Module B" without updating back "fire" to "fire_a".
"Module A" will try to call "fire_b" and will crash the kernel or
call something else instead. Maybe pointing static call to a default
value in static_call_del_module() with a WARN can be used instead
of module_get().

I reproduced this scenario here:
https://github.com/evdenis/static_calls_unload_test

Regards,