Re: [RFC 0/9] Linear Address Masking enabling

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Wed Sep 22 2021 - 08:54:52 EST

On Wed, 22 Sept 2021 at 03:15, Zhang, Xiang1 <xiang1.zhang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are already in llvm.org.
> One of my old patch is https://reviews.llvm.org/D102472 which has been committed by https://reviews.llvm.org/D102901 and https://reviews.llvm.org/D109790

Hi Xiang,

Good sanitizer patches are upstream!

Please help me to understand the status of other pieces (H.J. you
probably talked about this yesterday, but I wasn't able to build a
complete picture during the talk, I think it will be useful to have
this in written form).

1. The presentation mentions "GCC: enable memory tagging with LAM in
x86 codegen".
What exactly is needed? Isn't LAM transparent for codegen? What's the
status in gcc? Does a corresponding change need to be done in llvm?

2. "Enable LAM in binutils".
This is already upstream in binutils 2.36, right?

3. The mentioned glibc patch:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/glibc/patch/20210211173711.71736-1-hjl.tools@xxxxxxxxx/
Not upstream yet, targeting glibc 2.34.

4. "Avoid pointer operations incompatible with LAM. memmove: mask out
memory tags before comparing pointers".
Is this upstream? Where is the patch? Are there other similar patches?

As a side note, regarding the memmove change: do we really need it?
Memory regions can overlap only if they come from the same
allocation/base object. If they come from different allocations, they
can't overlap (undefined behavior already).

5. Do we need any additional enabling changes in clang/llvm?

6. The kernel patches (this email thread) depend on the CET patches
(for the interface part only). And the CET patches is this, right?
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/?q=x86%2Fcet%2Fshstk

7. Do I miss anything else?

H.J. please upload your slides here:
https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/11/contributions/1010/
It would help with links and copy-pasting text.

FTR here is the link to the Plumbers talk:
https://youtu.be/zUw0ZVXCwoM?t=10456

Thank you