Re: Confusing lockdep splat

From: Waiman Long
Date: Fri Sep 24 2021 - 20:30:28 EST

On 9/24/21 6:43 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 05:41:17PM -0400, Waiman Long wrote:
On 9/24/21 5:02 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
Hello!

I got the lockdep splat below from an SRCU-T rcutorture run, which uses
a !SMP !PREEMPT kernel. This is a random event, and about half the time
it happens within an hour or two. My reproducer (on current -rcu "dev"
branch for a 16-CPU system) is:

tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/kvm.sh --cpus 16 --configs "16*SRCU-T" --duration 7200

My points of confusion are as follows:

1. The locks involved in this deadlock cycle are irq-disabled
raw spinlocks. The claimed deadlock cycle uses two CPUs.
There is only one CPU. There is no possibility of preemption
or interrupts. So how can this deadlock actually happen?

2. If there was more than one CPU, then yes, there would be
a deadlock. The PI lock is acquired by the wakeup code after
acquiring the workqueue lock, and rcutorture tests the new ability
of the scheduler to hold the PI lock across rcu_read_unlock(),
and while it is at it, across the rest of the unlock primitives.

But if there was more than one CPU, Tree SRCU would be used
instead of Tiny SRCU, and there would be no wakeup invoked from
srcu_read_unlock().

Given only one CPU, there is no way to complete the deadlock
cycle.

For now, I am working around this by preventing rcutorture from holding
the PI lock across Tiny srcu_read_unlock().

Am I missing something subtle here?
I would say that the lockdep code just doesn't have enough intelligence to
identify that deadlock is not possible in this special case. There are
certainly false positives, and it can be hard to get rid of them.
Would it make sense for lockdep to filter out reports involving more
than one CPU unless there is at least one sleeplock in the cycle?

Of course, it gets more complicated when interrupts are involved...

Actually, lockdep keeps track of all the possible lock orderings and put out a splat whenever these lock orderings suggest that a circular deadlock is possible. It doesn't keep track if a lock is sleepable or not. Also lockdep deals with lock classes each of which can have many instances. So all the pi_lock's in different task_struct's are all treated as the same lock from lockdep's perspective. We can't treat all different instances separately or we will run out of lockdep table space very quickly.

Cheers,
Longman