Re: Struct page proposal

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Mon Sep 27 2021 - 14:17:01 EST

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 07:12:19PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 02:09:49PM -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:

> > > Wait, why do we want to avoid using the memory that we're allocating?
> >
> > The issue is where to stick the state for free pages. If that doesn't fit in two
> > ulongs, then we'd need a separate allocation, which means slab needs to be up
> > and running before free pages are initialized.
>
> But the thing we're allocating is at least PAGE_SIZE bytes in size.
> Why is "We should avoid storing anything in the free page itself" true?

Good point!

Highmem and dax do complicate things though - would they make it too much of a
hassle? You want to get rid of struct page for dax (what's the right term for
that kind of memory?), but we're not there yet, right?

Very curious why we need to be able to pull pages off the middle of a freelist.
If we can make do with singly linked freelists, then I think two ulongs would be
sufficient.