Re: Linux 5.15-rc3

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Sep 30 2021 - 09:43:07 EST

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 01:46:42PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 1:35 PM Thomas Bogendoerfer
> <tsbogend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > if it was a fix in the mips tree I would have sent it already, but it's
> > watchdog driver fix, which was meant to be picked up by Wim.
>
> Oh, my bad. Regardless, it's fixed in my tree now, and all of
> Guenter's build failures should be fixed.

Sorry for not getting back earlier; I have limited internet access
right now.

I _am_ watchdog co-maintainer, so I guess it is partially my fault.
Wim normally handles pull requests. I had asked him to send a pull
request with this patch, but unfortunately he didn't reply.

> Of course, other random configs and compilers are still an issue, but
> it's nice to see that most (all?) architectures can at least do a
> clean "allmodconfig" build for some random set of tools. I don't think
> we've ever been there before.

Not all of them, but that is nothing news and unrelated to -Werror.
Many 'minor' architectures do not and never did successfully build
allmodconfig, and others (nds32) need a specific gcc/binutils version
to build it. I submitted a set of patches for csky to enable it to build
allmodconfig with upstream gcc, so maybe we'll get that in 5.16. For
others it may be a lost cause. I can create a list with build errors
if there is interest.

Guenter