Re: [RFC 10/20] iommu/iommufd: Add IOMMU_DEVICE_GET_INFO

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Thu Sep 30 2021 - 18:04:54 EST

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 11:33:13AM +0100, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 08:30:42AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:

This table is what I was thinking after reading through the ARM docs.

> On Arm cache coherency is configured through PTE attributes. I don't think
> PCI No_snoop should be used because it's not necessarily supported
> throughout the system and, as far as I understand, software can't discover
> whether it is.

The usage of no-snoop is a behavior of a device. A generic PCI driver
should be able to program the device to generate no-snoop TLPs and
ideally rely on an arch specific API in the OS to trigger the required
cache maintenance.

It doesn't make much sense for a portable driver to rely on a
non-portable IO PTE flag to control coherency, since that is not a
standards based approach.

That said, Linux doesn't have a generic DMA API to support
no-snoop. The few GPUs drivers that use this stuff just hardwired
wbsync on Intel..

What I don't really understand is why ARM, with an IOMMU that supports
PTE WB, has devices where dev_is_dma_coherent() == false ?

Is it the case that DMA from those devices ignores the IO PTE's
cachable mode?

Jason