Re: [RFC] Some questions and an idea on SLUB/SLAB

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Fri Oct 08 2021 - 20:34:33 EST

On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 12:19:03AM +0000, Hyeonggon Yoo wrote:
> - Is there a reason that SLUB does not implement cache coloring?
> it will help utilizing hardware cache. Especially in block layer,
> they are literally *squeezing* its performance now.

Have you tried turning off cache colouring in SLAB and seeing if
performance changes? My impression is that it's useful for caches
with low associativity (direct mapped / 2-way / 4-way), but loses
its effectiveness for caches with higher associativity. For example,
my laptop:

L1 Data Cache: 48KB, 12-way associative, 64 byte line size
L1 Instruction Cache: 32KB, 8-way associative, 64 byte line size
L2 Unified Cache: 1280KB, 20-way associative, 64 byte line size
L3 Unified Cache: 12288KB, 12-way associative, 64 byte line size

I very much doubt that cache colouring is still useful for this machine.