RE: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core

From: Liu, Jing2
Date: Wed Oct 13 2021 - 06:25:27 EST

On 13/10/21 10:42, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> >> Yes, the host value of XFD (which is zero) has to be restored after vmexit.
> >> See how KVM already handles SPEC_CTRL.
> >
> > I'm trying to understand why qemu's XFD is zero after kernel supports AMX.
>
> There are three copies of XFD:
>
> - the guest value stored in vcpu->arch.

OK, let's call it e.g. vcpu->arch.xfd

[...]
> - the internal KVM value attached to guest_fpu. When #NM happens, this
> one becomes zero.

> The CPU value is:
>
> - the guest_fpu value between kvm_load_guest_fpu and kvm_put_guest_fpu.
> This ensures that no state is lost in the case you are describing.

OK, you mean using guest_fpu as a KVM value. Let me describe the
flow to see if anything missing.

When #NM trap which makes passthrough, guest_fpu XFD set to 0 and keeps
forever. (don't change HW XFD which is still 1)
In the #NM trap, KVM alloc buffer and regenerate a #NM exception to guest
to make guest kernel alloc its thread buffer.
Then in next vmexit, KVM sync vcpu->arch.xfd, load guest_fpu value (=0) and
update current->thread.fpu XFD to 0 for kernel reference.

> - the OR of the guest value and the guest_fpu value while the guest runs
> (using either MSR load/save lists, or manual wrmsr like
> pt_guest_enter/pt_guest_exit). This ensures that the host has the
> opportunity to get a #NM exception, and allocate AMX state in the
> guest_fpu and in current->thread.fpu.
>
> > Yes, passthrough is done by two cases: one is guest #NM trapped;
> > another is guest clearing XFD before it generates #NM (this is possible for
> > guest), then passthrough.
> > For the two cases, we passthrough and allocate buffer for guest_fpu, and
> > current->thread.fpu.
>
> I think it's simpler to always wait for #NM, it will only happen once
> per vCPU. In other words, even if the guest clears XFD before it
> generates #NM, the guest_fpu's XFD remains nonzero

You mean a wrmsr trap doesn't do anything and return back?
In this case, when next vmenter, the OR of the guest value
(vcpu->arch.xfd) and the guest_fpu value is still 1, so this
doesn't obey guest's HW assumption? (guest finds the wrmsr
didn't work)

Thanks,
Jing

and an #NM vmexit is