Re: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Thu Oct 14 2021 - 07:39:36 EST

On 14/10/21 13:30, Liu, Jing2 wrote:
I guess we're worrying about is when KVM is sched_out, a nonzero XFD_ERR
can be lost by other host thread. We can save guest XFD_ERR in sched_out
and restore before next vmenter. Kernel is assumed not using AMX thus
softirq won't make it lost.
I think this solves the problem. So we can directly passthrough RW of it,
and no need to rdmsr(XFD_ERR) in vmexit.

Correct; you can also use the "user-return MSRs" machinery (until Linux starts using AMX in the kernel, but that shouldn't happen too soon).

Paolo