Re: ???UNSURE??? Re: Unwanted activation of root-processes getting highly activated

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Thu Oct 14 2021 - 14:27:14 EST

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:40:08PM +0000, secret wrote:
> Hi,
> Firejail must have caused the high activity.
> Whenever I stop it (process firejail), they lower to origin.

This is what I had been trying to tell you repeatedly. Firejail
(firefox run in a sandbox/jail) is a browser which will do various
activities on behalf of whatever web pages that you visit. Some of
these webpages may have javascript, or other web-based application
code which is causing a lot of file I/O. So when visiting that web
page causes firefox to execute a lot of file I/O, on behalf of the web
site, in order to service the file I/O, the kernel will do that work
in the kernel threads that you seem to be objecting to having
activity.

However, those kernel threads being active when there is file I/O is
*normal*. It is the system working as intended. I don't know why you
would be objecting to those kernel threads being active, but if you
don't like it, don't do any file I/O, and if that means not using
firefox (or "firejail") to visit those web sites.

Regards,

- Ted