Re: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Fri Oct 15 2021 - 07:17:31 EST

On 15/10/21 12:50, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
That might be matching the KVM expectations, but it's not going to
happen.

KVM already violates all well known rules of encapsulation and just
fiddles in the guts of FPU mechanism, duplicates code in buggy ways.

This has to stop now!

FWIW, I totally agree about that. Over the years we've gotten more well-thought hooks in the kernel for KVM and less hacks, and I'll only be happy if that extends to the FPU code which I'm quite wary of touching. Most of it has been unchanged since Ingo's last rewrite.

Paolo

You are free to ignore me, but all you are going to achieve is to delay
AMX integration further. Seriously, I'm not even going to reply to
anything which is not based on the above approach.