Re: Kernel 5.15 doesn't detect SATA drive on boot

From: Krzysztof Wilczyński
Date: Tue Nov 16 2021 - 18:54:27 EST

[+CC Adding Jeremy for visibility]

Hi Damien,

[...]
> > The error in the dmesg output (see [2] where the log file is attached)
> > looks similar to the problem reported a week or so ago, as per:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pci/ee3884db-da17-39e3-4010-bcc8f878e2f6@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Thanks. I searched this thread but could not find it in the archive.
> Early morning, need more coffee :)

No worries! Got you covered!

)))
(((
+-----+
| |]
`-----'

Enjoy!

> > The problematic commits where reverted by Bjorn and the Pull Request that
> > did it was accepted, as per:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pci/20211111195040.GA1345641@bhelgaas/
> >
> > Thus, this would made its way into 5.16-rc1, I suppose. We might have to
> > back-port this to the stable and long-term kernels.
>
> Yes, I think the fix needs to go in 5.15, which is latest stable and LTS.

On the plus side, not everyone is on 5.15 yet, but those who are using it would
have some issues. Albeit, with it being an LTS release, the adoption might
increase rapidly.

For instance, I believe that Pop!_OS already ships kernels that are very close
to the upstream, which would hit their current user base.

Krzysztof