Linux 6.9-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Mar 24 2024 - 17:57:08 EST

So two weeks have passed, the merge window is over, and v6.9-rc1 is
tagged and pushed out.

This merge window looks to be fairly normal. If you look at the diffs,
you'd think that the bulk of all the changes are AMD GPU header files
again, and you'd not be entirely wrong. About 40% of the whole 6.9rc1
patch is indeed just the auto-generated AMD GPU definitions. I wish
this was unusual, but it's a pattern.

Anyway, while that is a lot of the actual changes by pure line
numbers, it's all just basically noise and not meaningful in the big
picture.

In contrast, what _is_ meaningful is a couple of very core updates.
The timer subsystem had a fairly big rewrite, to have per-cpu timer
wheels to improve performance of timers, which can be a big deal
particularly for networking. The other fairly notable core update is
to the workqueue subsystem, where one notable addition is for BH
workqueue support. That's notable mainly because it means we finally
have a way away from tasklets. The tasklet interface has basically
been deprecated for a long while, but we've never really had any good
alternatives (with threaded interrupt handlers being one suggested
use-case, but not realistic in many cases).

The core updates should be entirely invisible to users, as they don't
involve any semantic changes, just expanded capabilities. Of course,
being somewhat big changes, they did cause a few issues, but we've
hopefully already caught all the big deals.

Anyway, there's obviously also all the usual updates, and even when
you ignore the recurring AMD header drop more than half of actual
patch is - as usual - various driver updates all over. And all the
other usual suspects: architecture updates, various filesystems (old
ntfs core removal might be worth noting), core networking, VM and
kernel. And tooling and documentation.

Please commence testing,

Linus

---

Alex Williamson (1):
VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (2):
i3c updates
RTC updates

Amir Goldstein (1):
overlayfs fixes

Andreas Larsson (1):
sparc updates

Andrew Morton (2):
MM updates
non-MM updates

Andy Shevchenko (1):
auxdisplay updates

Ard Biesheuvel (3):
EFI updates
EFI fix
EFI fixes

Arnd Bergmann (6):
SoC device tree updates
ARM SoC driver updates
ARM SoC code updates
ARM defconfig updates
asm-generic updates
more ARM SoC updates

Bartosz Golaszewski (1):
gpio updates

Bjorn Andersson (3):
remoteproc updates
rpmsg updates
hwspinlock updates

Bjorn Helgaas (1):
PCI updates

Boqun Feng (1):
RCU updates

Borislav Petkov (7):
RAS fixlet
x86 cpu update
x86 MTRR update
resource control updates
x86 SEV updates
misc x86 fixes
EDAC updates

Casey Schaufler (1):
smack updates

Catalin Marinas (2):
arm64 updates
arm64 fixes

Chandan Babu (2):
xfs updates
xfs fixes

Christian Brauner (8):
misc vfs updates
ntfs update
iomap updates
pdfd updates
file locking updates
block handle updates
vfs uuid updates
vfs fixes

Christoph Hellwig (2):
dma-mapping updates
dma-mapping fixes

Chuck Lever (1):
nfsd updates

Damien Le Moal (1):
zonefs update

Dan Williams (1):
CXL updates

Dave Airlie (2):
drm updates
drm fixes

Dave Hansen (4):
x86 mm updates
x86 tdx update
x86 RFDS mitigation
x86 APIC fixup

Dave Jiang (1):
libnvdimm updates

David Sterba (3):
btrfs updates
affs update
btrfs fix

David Teigland (1):
dlm updates

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
input updates

Dominik Brodowski (1):
PCMCIA updates

Eric Biggers (2):
fscrypt updates
fsverity update

Eric Van Hensbergen (1):
9p updates

Gao Xiang (1):
erofs updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Greg KH (5):
USB / Thunderbolt updates
tty / serial driver updates
staging driver updates
char/misc and other driver subsystem updates
driver core updates

Guenter Roeck (1):
hwmon updates

Heiko Carstens (2):