Re: 1.3.3 Compiled but having temrinal probs :(

Snow Cat (snowcat@gd.cs.csufresno.edu)
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 12:06:21 -0700 (PDT)

Randy Chapman once wrote:

> Yes, there was a real reason. Unless we want to become like dos/windows,
> minor changes that break things will happen once in a while. This change
> has the real advantage of making things simpler and of finally perhaps
> making it possible that other vendors will finally support the linux console.

If we don't want to become DOS/Windows though, why is our kernel setting
environment variables? Looks so simular to COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM :)

Anyway, the problem is that people can't change their terminal settings
without recompiling the kernel. There should be a configuration file, like
/etc/initenv to specify initial settings, like PATH, ARCH, TERM and so
on. Most systems except linux are doing just that.

--
     Snow ^oo^ Cat <snowcat@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU>
      _  ->  <-    aka Oleg Kibirev <oleg@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU>