Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #104

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.oit.iupui.edu)
Wed, 05 Jul 1995 08:18:16 +0000

That's approximately what happens in OpenVMS. The bootstrap code has its
own drivers that are really (comparatively) stupid, but very rugged and
able to talk, after a fashion, with any bootable device. These drivers
are kept around (kernel-read-only, of course!) and used by the dump
code. (There is usually a separate, preallocated dump file which the
boot code locates and opens at startup, so that the dump code doesn't
have to depend on the state of the full-blown file system code. Because
it is open, you can't delete the file out from under the OS, which used
to cause interesting disk corruption problems before that feature was
implemented.)

It works well.

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Drew Eckhardt wrote:

[deletia]