Re: FTP fs possible? worthwile?

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@trantor.storm.net)
16 Jul 1995 20:34:28 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.950712101815.6078A-100000@chaos.sub.ucf.edu>,
Harik A'ttar <harik@chaos.sub.ucf.edu> wrote:

>Ok: I had a thought the other day on an FTP fs, similar to NFS and the
>/proc system. Essentally: All it would be is a directory structure.
>I.E. /ftp/dotted.ip.of.host/structure

Someone already implemented this on top of userfs (due to the nature
of FTP, you do *not* want to implement this in user space).
Unfortunately, userfs hasn't been updated lately -- which IMHO is a
major bummer.

In fact, FSP may be a better protocol than either FTP or NFS for
across-WAN file sharing; it was popular for a while but then sort of
became obscurized. Big bummer, IMHO.

/hpa

--
PGP public key available - finger hpa@yggdrasil.com