Re: [bug report] umsdos ruins ext2 file system

cloister bell (cloister@hhhh.org)
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 18:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 18:04:31 +0500
> From: "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU>
>
> Actually, due to complaints about this issue, 0.5b mke2fs will zap the
> boot sector when creates the filesystem.
>
> Let me clarify something --- 0.5b is already released; if your
> filesystem was created using 0.5b mke2fs, you won't need to worry about
> the FAT magic number being present in the book sector.

that's cool. so do those of us with ext2 filesystems older than that
need to worry about what may or may not be in our boot sectors? if so,
what do you recommend that we do about it?